Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Treat Called Love

When I was growing up, my dad traveled for work.  A lot.  In fact, he was gone so much that at one point he actually had an apartment in California, and only came home to Utah on an occasional weekend.  I loved when my daddy came home.  Why?  Not all the sentimental reasons that a little girl should, but because every time he came home he had a package of these for me waiting in his pocket.  

I always swore that the M&Ms tasted like the location they came from.  How I loved the tropical Hawaiian M&Ms, which tasted much different from the boring Utah M&Ms.   It wasn’t until years later, that I learned my dad actually bought the M&Ms from the gift shop in the Salt Lake Airport.  I had been eating Utah M&Ms all along--- the different flavors I adamantly claimed I was tasting, really didn’t exist. 

Well, this past month my dad has been on a couple more business trips, and each time he’s come home, he’s  returned with M&Ms in hand.  Last night, as I was munching on some Boston M&Ms I realized that I wasn’t wrong, these ‘business trip’  M&Ms really did have a different flavor. They tasted like love.  They were purchased by a busy man, to show that he had missed his children.  As I realized  this tasty treat was a reflection of my dad’s love, they became even tastier.  Now I understand why I always looked forward to receiving my package of M&Ms.   They were a simple reminder that I was loved, and love really does make everything even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment